Thursday, February 2, 2012

NZ MTB CHAMPIONSHIPS

A winding, pinchy sprint course in sync with the way european World Cup courses are now being set was the description of the national championships course held in the codgers mtb park. The track was demanding and one we both enjoyed however race day we were unable to lay down the performances we desired and were capable of never the less we put down everything that was there on the day, and pushed through challenges presented.

Carl 6th place – 2nd down hill 1st lap, I was in 2nd then washed out down a bank, I got up fast only letting dirk past but my day was only just starting, the blood was flowing everywhere literally all my muscles were contracting in ways only a crash produces. I was making it hard for myself to retain my title and I was in for a hell day after crashing more myself  I got back to 4th I thought I would finish up there but then on the final lap I was hit by another rider who was watching the race he was coming down an open road which double as the race track for a head on collision, It felt like I had been hit by a bus, by now I was now in the most pain I have ever felt in a race, after been hit I had a busted finger and smashed up arms and a good knock to the head I lost over 2mins and 2 more spots. Completely gutted the race had cost me much more than just a title I rolled to the finish in 6th. Apologies have been said and hard to accept but mistakes happen.



Katie 4th NZ rider 5th including swiss Jolanda Neff – No gas in the tank off the line back in 7th on first climb, with a mechanical in the first decent I managed to loop my chain loosing more places, I fought back to 5th but despite chasing could not get to the riders ahead with the body fighting what appeared to be a virus ending up unwell for the following days.

Disappointment after these performances was inevitable however this is a small setback in what is to be a long race season which we will overcome. We are now building to the second half of the domestic season with round 3 and 4 of the NZMTB and more importantly the Oceania championships on our local tracks.
Wellington UCI Cat 2 in a few weeks time to make up for the lost UCI points at nationals and to win a national series
also if anyone happened to pick up a Garmin 705 or has handed one somewhere could you let me know

Cheers
Carl and Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment