Monday, June 10, 2013

Vermiglio, Italy Cat 1


Yesterday was our final hit out before our last World Cup in our European race campaign.
Saturday morning we headed up the valley to check out the race track, it basically consisted of one steep eat your stem climb and one steep holey crap rocks every where descent along with grass sections steep up hills and flowy slightly off camber descents through the grass fields and fast flat. So steep up, steep down and flat. First lap neither of us were too excited but after the second lap of practice we found it pretty fun so we left it at that.

Katie’s Race
Epic day out for me! I messed up another start opportunity, something I hope I cannot get wrong many more times. For the duration of the race I was not riding with any real snap and I took a bit of time to work my way into the top 15 and pick off riders I had kindly let passed me at the start :-(. The race really took a bad turn when on my second to last I managed to crash and break my shoe on the main rocky descent, that was slippery and loose after the rain. Although frustrating and awkward I rolled to what I thought was the finish, loosing sight of the girls in front that I was hoping to catch but holding on just enough to not loose a position. This lap however was not the finish and soon after coasting through the start/finish I realized it felt wrong, so I continued riding along the track, when I got to Sam he let me know my suspicions were right and I still had another lap, only problem being we had nothing not even tape to fix my shoe on (a rookie mistake from myself in getting the techzone stuff ready) so out I went for my last lap loosing even more time on a track, a broken shoe was less than ideal due to the steep climbs and the hike a bike section. So far from a good day out but this is racing and the forced back off in intensity over the final laps may actually work in my favor in terms of recovery for next weekend, many times I have been able bounce back from poor races to lift my game the following weekend.. so here goes, 5 Days to the Italian World cup. Also big Thanks to Sam for the support in the feedzone and the Trek Factory Racing team for giving me a new buckle after my race :-).

IMG_1293[1] IMG_1300[1]



Carl’s Race
I had a good start to the race sitting around the top 25 but had a few block passes thrown at me and nearly rode into the lake beside the path we were on, on the 1st climb everyone was off walking, slipping over and pushing and shoving. After the 1st lap I was further back than I was hoping but worked  back through the field to maybe be top 20 or close to. It then started to rain and our track became very slippery my tires were perfect and I was riding where most were running. After 3 solid laps my legs couldn't go much harder and people started coming around me and I just couldn't hold wheels and I started slipping back through the field. There wasn't much I could do about it but keep pushing I finished up 30th and still not a happy chappy both the Category 1 races I was hoping to do better at but stuff just hasn't gone right. Now for 5 days recovery into our last world cup and hopefully perfect preparation.

IMG_1357[1] IMG_1378[1]
IMG_1379[1]IMG_1392[1] IMG_1390[1]


IMG_1249[1]
Sight seeing poor little bear
IMG_1274[1]
Gelato – Back Stage at our local cafe
                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment