Sunday, February 27, 2011

It’s going to be a good year - Both National Champions... Yeeeha!

CARL JONES ELITE MENS NATIONAL CHAMPION 2011
The best day of my biking career so far... I wanted this so bad for the last 6months have been dedicated to this race to prove a point. The day of the race I felt slightly tired and I love that feeling, In warm up my bike felt light and I felt fast, it always feels like this when I’m peaking so I knew I was at my best before the start. Race started with Waiariki team mate Patrick Avery boosting off the front and me slotting in 2nd this is how it stayed for the 1st 2 km then we were into the hill where Dirk came around me and attacked, I went with him and we rode away from the other boys, as he sat down I still had more in the legs and for the 1st time this year I attacked Dirk back harder than I ever had before and gapped him, and rested on the decent so I could go again on the 2nd hill. The 2nd hill was the technical up and down section of the track and due to the rain of the week we were running for a few hundred meters, (I hate running even enough to not run at all when it says to on my programme that I was following to every detail) once at the top it was a slippery traverse across the top until the DH where I was riding until on the 3rd lap I worked out I could run faster down it. My lead slowly increased until I was out to 2min 30 gap half way through the last lap and was told by Evan to back off (the decent) and seal the deal.
I had pushed my body well beyond its limits and was cramping very bad from lap 2 but I was determined to win for my family and for my poppa who died at Christmas he loved my racing and always wanted me to do well and be there to see it, and for everyone who has put all the effort into my career so far, there it was for them. The goal Evan and I set 5 years ago to win the elite national title was ticked off the long list
KATIE O’NEILL U23 WOMENS NATIONAL CHAMPION, 3RD ELITE 2011
Yesterday I got back what I wanted the U23 national title. The build up was great and l felt focused and able to overcome any obstacles. Even down to taping my knee due to hurting my tendon and making custom repairs to the broken shoe which caused it the night before nationals. Very happy they lasted but looking forward to getting a new pair of luois Garnier shoes this week, which I have missed this season!
I had a terrible start to the race I slipped down the edge of the track trying to get around a rider and back on the wheels of the lead girls FRUSTRATING to say the least, I managed to get past and then pass another rider to get the track clear, from here I really put in the effort to chase. By the top of the climb I had closed in on Fiona Mcdermid and passed her during this lap, from here it was Karen Hanlan and Rosara out ahead. The second lap I continued to chase but made mistakes when I was pushing, it was from this point I felt the most important thing was to secure the race I was in, which I had a great enough lead to keep within comforts to take the U23 win. Nationals was definitely raced more with my head than the body but I had done what was set out and cemented the win.
Congratulations to Rosara taking the elite women’s win, and Karen Hanlan for putting up a great fight for the tiltle.  What a machine first year mtbing and second place in elite womens. Last but not least Carl who put it all out there and got the result!

Katie and Carl
Thanks from the both of us to everyone who has played part in helping us achieve our goals with a special thanks to our families, Evan Mcrae our coach, Bergamont bikes  Craig and Philipp, Endura clothing,  Waiariki Jane Borren and Sam Thompson, and the bike culture guys we really appreciate everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment