Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 Elite road nationals





Friday afternoon myself and Katie flew from Queenstown where we were based with NZXC and headed to Christchurch where Sunday I was having my 1st crack at the Elite road nationals.
I was to do 182km 12 laps of the course that was set with 10 of these laps going up the steepest part of dyers pass road, this is the part of the race where it breaks to peaces every year. Christchurch had put on a very hot day with temperatures in the 30s I was going to be tough.

Photo Bruce Wilson

There was 74 starters in the race and only 20 finished the race last year only 14 finished. I wanted to finish...
I knew it was going to be hard but I can usually climb ok so I thought I should be able to keep up on the hill and the flat would be the harder art for me, however right from the 1st time up the hill I was at new max heart rates trying for dear life to hang on to the top NZ international pro and amateur riders. After 6 about 90km, laps 5 up dyers pass the heat was getting to me (felt like i was breathing dust i was so dry) and my legs were no longer able to keep up I drifter to far off the back and on the decent was left behind. On the flat that lap the pace went on and over half the field dropped out of the race including well known pro riders.

Photo Bruce Wilson

Photo Rebekah Tregurtha
From here most of the riders went back to the party on the hill up dyers pass where it was like the Tour de France with people all over the road with a meter for the riders to ride through. That was an amazing experience. From here the fireworks started happening, each time up the climb less riders were coming up and only the best were left, on the final lap up the hill our good mate George Bennett just absolutely went next level and left the remaining riders to chase him with only 20km on the flat to go we thought George would hold the chasers off but with a few km's to go his Pro tour team mate Hayden Roulston bridged the gap and took the win.


No comments:

Post a Comment