Monday, February 4, 2013

NZMTB Cup #2 Wellington

Race 2 of the NZMTB Cup series rolled in to Wellington on the same weekend as the IRB 7s Party booked up all the accommodation and had the streets packed with people dressed up in assorts. Bloody good fun people watching with the NZXC team and recruits Cayley, Karen and Tom. NZXC couldn't find accommodation and Tom Bradshaw offered us to stay with him and his family we were very grateful and were well looked after.

Wayne Jones-Nevrilk

The day dawned with a clear, sunny day with light Wellington breeze. By the time 2pm rolled round temperatures were above 25 degrees and the up hills were baking. Tom Bradshaw lead us up the 1st part of the climb, then I took the lead until the highest point of the course where Dirk sprinted over me to be in the single track first I was happy to be here but after 15 seconds of descending I had a loose moment and dropped his wheel this 20 meter gap just kept opening and Matt Waghorn sprint around me on my next loose moment an up hill drift. Not an Ideal first 5 mins but at this stage I was in well in 3rd place, but I was still descending pretty average and on lap 3 I hit the Mt Vic hero dirt pretty hard which actually helped me worked out my limits, By this stage tho Sam Shaw had past me and I had past Matt Waghorn, so we had switched around abit. Towards the end of the race I got my boost on and started closing gaps to Sam but he ended up still been 40 second in front and Dirk a massive 3min 20 odd up on me.

Wayne Jones-Nevrilk
Wayne Jones-Nevrilk
(c) Adrian Rumney 2013


There are lots of pictures floating around here are a few of the best ones from NZXC and Wayne Jones-Nevrilk.

The form is coming on for nationals which are only 2 weeks away now so the speed work is working. Off to Auckland this weekend for the final round in the Hanua Ranges where a tight gravely track awaits us.

Katie is off to her Surgeon on Friday for her 6 month x-ray, we have all fingers and toes crossed that she is all fused up and its good news 

Carl    

       

No comments:

Post a Comment