Sunday, February 17, 2013

2013 National Championships, Rototua

3rd place at the 2013 MTB National Championships here in Rotorua was not quite what I was after at the national champs obviously, but I’m pretty stoked with it. I was realistically fighting for 3rd before the gun went off with the form Dirk has, and the world class form Anton will always have, but I wanted to spoil the Anton and Dirk show and I had mentally and physically prepared for it and usually get a big lift for big events but today it wasn’t going to happen.

After 5 mins of racing the gap slowly started opening after lap one I was already 15 seconds down the gap slowly increased until mid race where I lapped for a few laps with Sam Shaw and we held the gap, with 3 laps of the 7 to go I left Sam to ride on my own and secured the 3rd spot but still losing to the 2 boys in front by 2 mins 54 in the end. I felt pretty strong and mid race showed I could match the other boys in front. Thanks to the massive crowds of people out there cheering us on and my little brother for going to the effort to make signs and chalk up the road. Plus my whole family for been there
I stood on top of the Elite podium but I’m not sure what happens with the UCI points if I get full Elite point because the other 2 were U23 or what Bikenz haven't really made this clear to us but the 3rd place points will be a hell of a lot better than my 2012 6th place.

A wee bit of a mixed NZ season on the Mountain Bike for me with a bit to much road racing but it was always the plan and will make me stronger in the long run, now the MTB will take over for the rest of my year. We are having a little rest now and then full swing for Oceania’s in 6 weeks in Tazzy, NZXC will also be heading down to do Mototupu in 19 days so stay tuned.

Massive thanks to Evan for all the hard work he puts into me and always believing in my abilities.
My Mum for continuing to bail out her 24 year old son
Sam with all the NZXC Racing side of things
Bike Culture for looking after my bikes I have been pretty demanding in the last few weeks and they are always fitting me in and fixing up my gear.
NZbyBike.com for helping us travel this year.
Trek, Waiariki, Waiariki Academy of SportBontrager, Geax, Tineli, NZO, Shotz, Camelbak, Adidas, Magellan

Carl
Wilson's sign after my we nail  accident 

Debbie Retief

Debbie Retief

Wayne Jones-Nevrilk


Pro Photo Debbie Retief

Debbie Retief

Elite podium minus Ed Crossling

Wayne Jones-Nevrilk


No comments:

Post a Comment