Sunday, February 10, 2013

NZMTB Cup #3 Hanua

Round 3 of the NZMTB Cup took us to the Hanua Ranges in Auckland, this was the final round of the short NZ season, NZXC rolled into the Hanua's on Friday to get a lap of the track in. I had just received my new Trek Superfly so preceded to build this up and just hangout at the trailer whilst everyone went riding...

Because on Waitangi day Sam and I went Sailing and afterwards I stood on a 4 inch nail sticking out of a peace of 4by2. At the time I was quite calm but in a bit of shock as it went in pretty deep and straight through my protective Jandel. I did this when I was a kid and that feeling was the same it Bloooody hurts. The pain got worse over night and the next day I was crippled I couldn't walk or even bare it touching the ground. This is when panic set in I thought I was in deep shit with nationals been only a 9 days away the possibility of antibiotics and a tetanus and better still I couldn't drive myself to the doctor to get it cleaned up and looked at. Luuka my flat mate ended up running round after me for the day So massive thanks to her. I ended up having to have it snipped open a bit and cleaned with iodine, a tetanus (dead arm) and got a 7day block of antibiotics which has peeved me off but now ill be fresh for nationals that’s for sure.

We stayed in Pukekohe with my Aunty and Uncle and Cousins who looked after the team very well and put food on the table for us every night. Friday night my foot still didn’t fit in a shoe but Saturday it did with a few pain killers I was sweet to ride and got a few laps in.

Race day I was Amped up ready to go a few more pain kills and a squeeze to fit the foot in my shoe I was off, I raced the new 29er the track was very tight but not so technical so it roll so good and really opened up on the gravel sections, I needed to get used to it before the nationals so it was the perfect opportunity to test it out.
Wayne Jones-Nevrilk
last lap pack I was swinging on the back 
I raced well considering my situation so I was happy finishing off 5th, I was rolling round in 4th for 2 laps then 3rd for 2 more laps and slipped back to 5th for the last 2 laps I managed to stay on my bike and I watched so many of the boys around me catch up to me then get caught off guard by the tight trees and hit the deck and have to chase me again.


Wayne Jones-Nevrilk
        I ended up finishing off the series in 2nd, with Dirk taking the win and Adrian Retief 3rd.

Its all rest time now one more hard session ahead of me mid week before we line up Saturday for the big one National Champs. If you’re around or don’t have plans for Saturday make sure you head to the forest to cheer us on the bigger the crowd the better the racing.

Carl

Ps.. Katie had her 6 month Check up is aloud back on the mountain bike so we may see her out this weekend also if riding this week goes well :)

    

No comments:

Post a Comment