Sunday, January 24, 2010

N-Duro #2

We got in to Christchurch at 12am in bed at 1am and back up to make the plane at 530am, had pies for dinner and toast for breaky, landed in Rotorua at 25 to 9 and boost straight to waipa to put our bikes together, our legs felt tired but our minds knew what had to be done...

Katie

The race was starting before I even knew, someone made the comment missed the boat on that one as when Marcus finished briefing everyone was already on the start line ready to race, so if you want to be up front you have to be pretty damn quick. I started the race feeling pretty good but by the top of totarangi pa I realised the extent which I had hammered my legs the day before. I am still getting used to the new bike with its set up my back was playing up when climbing just because I am in a slightly different position which once I am used to it will be awesome and a whole lot more aggressive, although during the race it was killing me. I loved every track though and had so much fun descending on the new bike and made up for my lack of skill the day before in nelson where I was riding very messily to say the least. Thanks to every one for the track and the race it was well worth flying back for.

Carl

As Katie said we missed the boat for the start and started about 5 rows back so I had to start harder than most to get to the front. By the time we stated going up to totarangi pa it was Mikey and Cabin setting the pace with me hanging on their wheels by the time we got to the top I had slipped off the back and was losing sight of them. The track was super hard with 3 massive climbs in the 1st 20km I always go quite strong on the hills and I was feeling very good apart from the obvious loaded legs from nelson. After the hills one of my knees started to really give me a hard time but i didn’t want to back off because I had a good gap back to 4th, with about 15-20km to go I could see Scott Green catching instead of attacking right then and there to try get away I just held a gap that he was slowly closing and I knew he would. Once he caught we rode together till the end. We both started slowing down and really playing games with each other he knew he could sprint me and I knew I could usually out climb him, so with 1 hill in the way I knew that was my only chance to attempt to get away, so I went for it after about 20 seconds of going as hard as I could I looked under my arm and he was still there we both just sat up with burning legs and after sitting on him for the last few mins he hit another attack going into the final downhill which I couldn’t match him on losing enough meters that I couldn’t catch on the line losing to the green machine by 5meters and getting 4th.

Over all we are stoked with our weekend and the last few weeks of training we have had, only just backed off the long, nonstop miles which we have only had 3 days off in about 2 months and a good taper we can still ride like we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment